1)RAJYA SABHA MEMBERS TO TAKE OATH ON JULY 22;
- The newly elected members of Rajya Sabha will be administered oath on july 22, 2020.
- For the first time, the administration of oath will be done in the chamber of the house during inter-session.
2)INDIA AND US SINGNED A MOU;
- India and US have signed a MoU to develop a strategic petroleum reserve.
- The two countries are in an advanced stage of discussion to store crude oil in America to increase India's stock pile.
- Co-operation in strategic petroleum reserves programme will further strengthen India's energy security and pave the way for greater US investments and collaborations in India's future SPR programme's.
3)PAKISTAN, CHINA SIGNED AGREEMENT;
- Pakistan and China have signed an agreement for the 700 MW Azad Pattan hydel power project on the Jhelum river in Sudhoti district of Pakistan occupied Kashmir (POK).
- The $1.5 billion project is the second power project under the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
Did You Know?The first agreement for the 1,100 MW Kohala project was signed on june 23, 2020.
4)UTTARAKHAND TO GENERATE ELECTRICITY FROM WASTE;
- The Uttarakhand government has decided to convert waste generated in the state to electricity under an initiative titled 'Waste to Energy '.
- The scheme also aims to solve the problem of unavailability of landfills to dispose of the solid waste across the hill state which has 10 out of 13 districts as hill areas.
Did You Know?At present 900 tonnes of waste is generated in the hill state every day.
5)OSSOUKA APPOINTED AS FIRST WOMEN PM OF GABON;
- The President of Gabon, Ali Bongo Ondimba, has appointed Rose Christiane Ossouka Raponda as the country's first female Prime Minister.
- Ossouka Raponda was promoted from the defence ministry and takes over from Julien Nkoghe Bekale, who was appointed PM in jan 2019.
Did You Know?In 2012, she first became budjet minister and then the first female mayor of the capital Libreville in 2014.
6)INTERNATIONAL NELSON MANDELA DAY :JULY 18;
- International Nelson Mandela Day was celebrated in honour of Nelson Mandela and its marked on july 18, which is his birthday.
- The United Nations General Assembly officially declared the day in november 2009, and the first UN Mandela Day was held on july 18, 2010.
Did You Know?Nelson Mandela was a political leader and Philanthropist, who served as the president of South Africa from 1994-1999.
7)INDIA SIGNED AGREEMENT WITH US AND FRANCE ;
- India has signed bilateral agreement with France and US.
- It will allow airlines of each country to operate international flights from 17 july, 2020.
- Similar agreements with Germany and UK are being worked out too.
Did You Know?American carrier United Airlines will be flying 18 flight between India and US from july 17- july 31, 2020.
8)INDIA -ORIGIN EXPERTS IN NEW RACE COMMISSION;
- A new commission announced by PM Boris Johnson in june 2020 includes two Indian -orgin commissioners :Samir Shah and Ajay Kakkar.
- It has been announced in the wake of the Black lives matter campaign to look into race and ethnic disparities.